Ross Online



» Accommodation
» Agriculture
» Arts & Crafts
» Business
» Clubs & Societies
» Community
» Computers & Internet
» Eating Out
» Education
» Health
» Leisure & Recreation
» Places of Interest
» Pub Guide
» Shopping
» Sport & Fitness
» Transport
» Venues
» Worship
» Youth





 


 
 
 
 
Our business name is ...

St Bridget
  Our business activity is ...

Christian religion
Bridstow
Ross-on-Wye
Herefordshire
Contact:
The Reverend Sarah Geach
Position: Team Vicar
Tel: 01989 562 010
E-Mail: sarah.geach@rtm.org.uk
About Us...

This district is actually the only part of England, except Cornwall (known at that time as West Wales) where the Christian faith survived the Saxon invasions.

It is likely that the earliest church on the present site was a Welsh church dedicated to St. Freit, which is Welsh for St. Bridget or Bride; hence its name today. In 1066 a Norman church was consecrated at Bridstow.

The names of the known Vicars date from 1277; the first listed being a Walter de Beriton.

Over the years repairs and additions were performed and in 1862 the church was rebuilt except for the West Tower. The tower dates back to the late 14 th century and today has a peal of 8 bells, the earliest of which was cast by Robert Hendley of Gloucester in 1480.

The present church contains several features from the earlier church, the earliest is probably the chancel arch (12 th century).

 
 


DIRECTORY SEARCH
A-Z Search Click on the first letter of a company or organisation.
Company Search

Type in a company or organisation name, if you know it, and click 'GO'
Keyword Search

Type in a 'keyword' and click 'GO' e.g. solicitor, estate agent, builder, carpenter, bistro etc.





The regions most comprehensive online guide to what's on, where and when.
Updated Daily













©Ross Online 2007 Home | Local News | Web Links | Whats On | Search
Advertisers | Get Listed | Contact Us | Maps | Weather
Back to TOP