Ross Online

» Accommodation
» Agriculture
» Arts & Crafts
» Business
» Clubs & Societies
» Community
» Computers & Internet
» Eating Out
» Education
» Health
» Leisure & Recreation
» Places of Interest
» Pub Guide
» Shopping
» Sport & Fitness
» Transport
» Venues
» Worship
» Youth


Our business name is ...

St Mary the Virgin
  Our business activity is ...

Christian religion
The Rectory
Church Street

The Reverend John Hunnisett
Position: Team Rector
Tel: 01989 562 175
About Us...

The church of St Mary the Virgin has been the centre of Christian worship in the town for over 700 years and is central to a large group of parishes in the area, which comprise the Ross Team Ministry.

The church, which is one of the largest in Herefordshire, enjoys a commanding position standing on one of the highest points in the town and the spire can be seen for many miles around. The church was dedicated in 1316 but there is evidence that suggests the site contained an earlier Saxon and Norman church.

The spire is the most notable feature of the church and dates back to the 14th Century. In 1721 the rebuilding of the spire was funded by John Kyrle, a benefactor of Ross. Part of John Kyrle’s family crest included a hedgehog, which has been adopted as a symbol of the town and there are a number to be found on monuments in the church. Other notable citizens of Ross-on-Wye are immortalised by monuments both within the church and churchyard. In particular, the Rudhall family is commemorated with a number of spectacular monuments at the top end of the South Aisle. The Markye Chapel has undergone a number of name changes in the past commemorating various Ross-on-Wye families. It has undergone restoration and is used for meditative prayer and weekday services. The screen of the Chapel recalls the regimental badges of the armed services associated with Ross in World War I.

Outside in the churchyard there is a monument to Walter Scott. He was responsible for establishing education for children if Ross-on-Wye and to this day the charity he bequeathed funds apprenticeships and further education.

Also in the churchyard is to be found the Plague Cross that was erected to mark the graves where victims of the 1637 were buried.

Visitors are welcome to the church and most days there is somebody available to highlight the several styles of architecture and the interesting aspects of the Parish Church.

There are Sunday services each week except on the fifth Sunday in the month, when the churches of each group come together for a joint service. The Team Vicar is the Revd John Hunnisett.


A-Z Search Click on the first letter of a company or organisation.
Company Search

Type in a company or organisation name, if you know it, and click 'GO'
Keyword Search

Type in a 'keyword' and click 'GO' e.g. solicitor, estate agent, builder, carpenter, bistro etc.

The regions most comprehensive online guide to what's on, where and when.
Updated Daily

©Ross Online 2007 Home | Local News | Web Links | Whats On | Search
Advertisers | Get Listed | Contact Us | Maps | Weather
Back to TOP